Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Review: Gosei Sentai Dairanger- Chogokin Kibaranger

Gosei Sentai Akibaranger!... wait, Gosei Sentai Dairanger (五星戦隊ダイレンジャー) Or Five-Star Squadron, Dairanger, It is Toei's Super Sentai Series Number 17 or 15. Dairanger being a proper name and having no real meaning, maybe Great-Ranger. Other rumors had it as Chuuka Sentai Chinaman, Chinese Squad Chinaman. I've watched 45 of the Dairanger episodes and It's easily one of my favorites. ( Kibaranger was the only Dairanger suit used for Power Rangers Season 2 for Tommy the Green Ranger. Kibaranger (キバレンジャー) Koushinsei Kou (吼新星・コウ) or Kou of the New Howling Star. He is the child of Fate, One thing, I dislike Kou, a lot, I love Byakko, and Byakko makes me like Kibaranger. His attacks include: Howling New Star Scattered Echo (乱れやまびこ Koshinsei Midare Yamabiko)Fang Rush (牙突進 Gatotsushin)White Tiger Flash (白虎一閃 Byakko Issen). Kou is half Gouma and can use YouRyoku aswell as KiRyoku. This is the Chogokin Kibaranger which is pretty heavy since its Die-Cast, It was expensive as hell! It was also hard to find. I bought it for $77. Let's get to the review!

Box
The Box is nice, it doesn't have a display window but you can see a nice picture of Kibaranger. It also has a nice picture of the ranger on the sides and the Logo all around aswell as the 5 Star emblem they have on their chests. The back shows pictures of the Figure and contents, It also shows the other five, Ryuuranger, Shishiranger, Tenmaranger, Kirinranger, Hououranger.
I can read Hiragana and Katakana... I just don't understand it... anyways. Those are the contents, except either I'm missing one sword or it didn't come with one.

Contents

Note: I am very impatient so I couldn't wait to put on the stickers and shield. So I didn't take proper pictures.
Once you open the box you get a bag with the pieces and Byakko Shinken is in the bag.
From the other side of the bag. 
The Sword, the Shield and the Stickers. The Shield is molded in a nice Silver plastic and painted nicely with Chrome gold and black.
From the other side, The stickers are for the arms and legs and the Shield. Carefully apply the stickers, I'm not very good but try your best and be very very careful.

Figure w/ Stickers No Shield

The figure is nice, it's doesn't have a buff build, nor does it really have human proportions, than again, this was the early 90s so human proportions weren't great. It uses the same mold so the chest is unpainted, it has the lining for the vest. It also has the sleeves and the collar aswell as the 5-Star Emblem.
The emblem is odd and the sculpted lining wont really bother you, the belt is a nice chrome gold. The emblem and the sculpt will be of minor issue when you put on the shield.

Helmet Detail

The front looks really nice, the black is kinda off, It was painted just not in the right way. 
From the side it looks really nice, you can see the tiger ears and whiskers.

Accessories

The accessories are the Star Cutter, ByakkoShinken and the Shield. The shield is nicely painted a Chrome Gold, The weapons are in plain white plastic.
The shield or armour is nicely sculpted but inaccurate. The emblem on the shield is a shiny gold sticker.
With the shield the figure looks 1000 times better! It just looks great, In a way I like the inaccurate back but again... it's inaccurate and it bugs me. Otherwise it's just great, The figure is restricted with the shield, the arms can only move so far with it on.
The two weapons are Byakkoshinken and the Star Cutter and maybe the Star Sword which mine doesn't have but was shown on the box... They're nicely sculpted, Byakko losing half of his face for the sake of the ability of being held by Kibaranger's hand. The star cutter is nice, it's a short knife.
They can be stored on the holsters.
Or be held, never happened in the show but heck.
Byakko can be held facing like this or you can just make him talk to his sword which isn't weird at all because, hey, a talking magical sword.

Articulation

It's fairly articulated, it has all the main points of articulation, the back of the knees have the slits so it locks every so many degrees, it's not really free articulation but you can work something out. The arms go forward and back, the elbows bend and the arms rotate above the elbows. The legs go forward and back, unfortunately no in and out motion. The head turns and that's about it.

Dislikes and Would Likes

Just a couple things, I wish the chest emblem was sculpted in, and in and out articulation, and a more accurate shield. That's it.

Overall

If you're a fan of the White Ranger or Gosei Sentai Dairanger I'd highly recommend this, it's Die-Cast and a nice collectible, the Super Legends one is really nice, the 4 inch one aswell and the Figuarts will be Amazing, The 20th Anniversary one will be buff but It'll be very nice, Note that I only noted those with the accurate belts. The others are the Movie Metallic White Ranger, Shark Cycle White Ranger, Flip Head White Ranger and the 8" White Ranger. There wasn't a standard one like the Rest of the Dairangers, the other standard ones came with the Kiber Machines. This is really nice and the Die-Cast is a plus, just be careful about the price, Mine was 77 but worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment