Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Review: Power Rangers 15th Anniversary Mighty Morphin Red Ranger


Now, I wasn't born in 1993, I was born in 1997, however, that doesn't mean I didn't watch the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I did indeed watch it, not thoroughly but I do remember watching it. I used to watch it in Jetix as "Power Rangers Generations". My godness... I remember it as if it was just yesterday!
IT'S MORPHIN TIME! they would exclaim as they turned into the legendary warriors of justice! I've also watched Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger, the 16th Super Sentai installment that spawned the Power Ranger's Franchise.
Quite frankly... we more Zyu stuff than Japan does... and I mean a lot! This was released in the 15th Anniversary in 2007 during the airing of Power Rangers Operation Overdrive, Disney's (Yes I know Saban started this but Disney Owned the rights at the time) Adaptation of Sentai's 30th anniversary season, GoGo Sentai Boukenger. This and a couple other Red Rangers were sold in stores.


Some bio on the Red Ranger. Jason was the original Red Ranger with the Power of the Tyrannosaurus and the leader of the MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS and pilots the Tyrannosaurus of course (duh), as for his counterpart Geki, the Yamato tribe Prince was awesome aswell and he pilots Guardian Beast Zyu Tyrannosaurus. Jason later replaced by Rocky due to some issues... Anyway, Rocky went up all the way as the Red Ranger until season 3 by which after the appearance of Tommy The Green Ranger, the Red wasn't the leader anymore and in seasons 2 and 3 Tommy as the White Ranger was the leader in those.
Anyway... let's get started.

Box

The box isn't anything special, it just has a display window which shows the Red Ranger (Jason or Rocky, your pick) and on the box it says "Mighty Morphin" in Red letters and at the bottom it says "Red Ranger." At the back it shows the Red Rangers and their respective Years and Teams. however the Alien Rangers always go unappreciated...  Anyhow, I gotta say, it looks great. You can also display the figure inside the box if you like. The box design was also used again later with the 20th anniversary and it's really collector friendly.

Figure


The figure isn't necessarily anything special... It's really nice tho, it's a lovable steroid ranger. I kinda like how they mocked the super muscle look in Akibaranger Shizun Tsuu. Anyways, all the details are there, it looks good the front, both sides and the back. The Suit has it's Diamond Pattern and it's all painted in nicely. It's about 6.5-7 inches tall so it might go good with certain figures... just not regular 6 inch figures.

Details:



The Side of the Helmet looks fantastic, you can see the detail of the teeth and the teeth are nicely painted aswell, you can see the silver and the white rim. The eye of the Tyrannosaurus in the helmet is painted black. All the detail is molded and the little rim of the mouth piece is there. 


From the front I couldn't expect anything less. The helmet is a little squished but I like it. The overall body is a little buff but I can overlook that. It also has something you'd never expect. In the belt it clearly says Zyuranger, Kyoryu Sentai... it's painted in of course

Articulation

This figure is really poseable, it has a swivel Head, Wrist joint and the hand rotates at the cuffs of the gloves, Elbows, Arms can go in and out and front and back. The Legs can go up, down, in and out, Knee can bend and the boots rotate 360. The ankle joint is there and the legs can rotate at the thigh. 

Accesories


Whats a ranger without a weapon eh?... ok maybe some... anyways, all he comes with is the Power Sword or if you're into the Sentai name the Ryugekiken. it's nice and silver and not painted... except for the silver finish. It's missing the holster and the Power Blaster in all 3 forms (Stick/Baton, Sword and Gun Mode) But eh, It woulda been nice if they at least included the Gun form. 
The power sword is nicely detailed having the look and the marks and carvings as seen on the show.

                                                    it even has the Tyrannosaurus Coin on it.

Dislikes/Would Wants

Like every figure, it has it's good points and bad points. This figure shares the same body type with the rest of the Red Rangers on the line, It's all painted in, all the details aren't molded in except for the helmet. I'm also not a big fan of the over muscled look, I can stand just a bit but this is too much. The only difference between this and the others is the Helmet and the Paint, that's it. I woulda liked a holster and at least the Gun mode of the Power Blaster, that's about it. Another Issue is the cuff detail on the gloves and 
boots, the suit didn't have that. Anyways if you can overlook that, it's still a great figure to have and add to your collection.

Overall



Overall, it's still a great figure to own, it's nice and looks nice on display, its a great representation of the Mighty Morphin Red Ranger which most people love. You can also make it pass by as a Tyrannoranger due to the belt being painted on and saying Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger. If you're big into the detail I'd reccommend the S.H. Figuarts Tyrannoranger which comes out in June, it comes with The Ranger Stick in Sword, Gun and Holster mode, the Thunder Slinger, Ryugekiken, a holster and a bunch of hands, the Build is pretty slim (a little too slim), the Japanese Release comes with effect parts for the Powerful Rangers featured in Akibaranger Shizun Tsuu. The U.S. release will be released under the name Mighty Morphin Red Ranger, it comes with everything except for the Powerful Rangers Bits. That said, this is still a great toy and I love it so. I highly recommend it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment