Total Pageviews

Friday, October 4, 2013

Review: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers - 20th Anniversary Legacy Mask Collection

Since I finished Season one of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers and got to episode 15 of Season two and the last episode with the Green Ranger was in episode 13 which was "Green No More Part 2," interesting episode by the way, so I decided to review this as a surprise since I got this about a week ago. The two reasons for reviewing this, 1: Last episode with the Green Ranger, 2: I was trying to decide on what to review next so I picked this because of reason 1. Anyways, I went to Best Buy to get my tablet and the Wii-U (which is amazing... kinda) and I went to Toys R Us which is next to Best Buy to check if they had the Gosei Ultimate Megazord which they didn't so I bough this and another one since it was buy one another 40% off, so it was one for me and one for my brother. I'll give Bio on the Rangers as I review them. A brief summary of Season 1, Warning! Spoilers...
Rangers get recruited by Zordon, they get their Megazords and they have battles with monsters using Zyuranger footage. Tommy shows up around episode 17 which starts the "Green with Evil" 5 parter in which Tommy starts out as Rita's subordinate. He later snaps out of it after the Sword of Darkness which Rita gave him is destroyed and he goes to the team. He barely appears throughout the season only showing up in suit when the rangers are in trouble Due to his counterpart, Dragonranger only having a couple hours left. He loses his powers in the Green Candle and transfers them to Jason so he can use the Dragon Shield. Around episode 40 I think they start to use Original footage and Zyu 2 footage which was made by Toei for Power Rangers. They changed the Zyuranger's Suit actor's mannerisms so they would match the Power Ranger's counterparts. Tommy gets his powers again so he shows up again. Having still a couple episodes of Zyu 2 footage they decide to splice it with some Dairanger footage using only the Dairen-O footage. You don't see the Thunder Megazord and the Monster of the week together and sometimes you clearly see the Power Sword striking the Monster. Tommy loses his powers again in Green No More. Truly fascinating in my opinion, let's move on.

Packaging

The packaging is pretty awesome since it shows the masks in the window. It's also easy to open since it just folds away and it's very collector friendly. 
The sides it's nothing special but it looks cool since the helmets are accurate rather than the CG versions in most of the modern MMPR Merch.
You also get the story on the back which is nice like most of the Legacy Stuff.

Masks

You get the base stand which can hold the Helmets.
The masks can be removed of course.
They're two pieces and they have a hole, they're also about 1/6 scale so you can make a custom if you can get the Hot Toys True Type body for these.

Red Ranger

 The Red Ranger! since Tommy is still the Green Ranger I will refer to this as Jason. Jason is the leader of the Power Rangers and he's pretty damn cool. He teaches Karate at the youth Center. He controls the Tyrannosaurus Zord and the Dragon Thunderzord, he wields the Power Zord. His helmet is one of the cooler ones since his helmet has teeth on the sides and the Black lines that they added really add some more bits of accuracy. It's one of my favorite Helmets along with the Kirin Ranger's helmet and Gao Red.
From the side it looks amazing, the Eyes kinda make it feel more awesome, the mouth plate looks cool on these helmets and I'm not the biggest fan of the silver mouth plates.
There is detail all around, the teeth are sculpted and painted.

Black Ranger

The Black Ranger! Zack! He's Jason's best friend and a Rad dancer, He's one of my favorite Characters and I love his voice. He teaches Hip Hop Kido which mixes Martial arts with Hip Hop. He pilots the Mastodon Zord and the Lion Thunderzord (with green highlights... why could that be?) He wields the Power Axe which can turn into Cannon mode. The helmet looks awesome and the tusks look cool on the side, they have white highlights and the trunk goes down the middle of the visor. The Yellow eyes look cool.
 From the side it looks better since you can see the Mastodon (or mammoth... or elephant)
It's just so detailed, I love the White highlights on the Black helmet.

Blue Ranger

 The Blue Ranger! Billy! He was the smart one of the group and he would speak in terms that the rest of the Gang couldn't understand, he created plenty of gadgets throughout the show which were pretty morphinomenal. He pilots the Triceratops zord and the Thunder Unicorn Zord (or Pegasus) He wielded the Tricera Lance which would separate into two. The Helmet is awesome the horns just make it cooler. For whatever reason this helmet gives me these nostalgic feelings that I can't understand.
 Maybe I owned something related to Blue, but it just gives me these special feelings that the others don't. The horns look amazing and it looks threatening somehow, the black highlights look amazing.
This is the only Helmet that has both black and white highlights. The White highlight is under the top part of the Triceratop's beak.

Yellow Ranger

 The Yellow Ranger! Trini! such a beautiful person, although he style would have fit more with the pink ranger judging from the stance. She often would translate Billy's Tech talk so the others could understand. The also learned the Kung-Fu of the Mantis which unfortunately wasn't present in the Zyu 2 footage. She pilots the Yellow Sabertooth Tiger Zord and the Griffin Thunderzord (Quilin or Giraffe?) and wields the Power Daggers! The saberteeth would be somewhat bothersome for the suit actor. It also has a silver nose.
 It looks pretty cool from the side, also the Counterpart for the Yellow Ranger, Tigerranger was a boy called... Boi.
I like all, if not most of the feline related Rangers like Kibaranger or Geki Red.

Pink Ranger

 The Pink Ranger! Kimberly! She's pretty and cool, she's the girly girl of the group. She also takes Gymnastics and has written a song with Zack's help. She and Trini are best buds... except for that one episode. She pilots the Pterodactyl Zord and the Phoenix Thunderzord and wields the Power Bow which was used as a harp.
 I was never the biggest fan of the helmet and it kinda still isn't. I'm not sure what it is but it's just kind of weird. It's mostly white and barely pink.
Also, I hadn't noticed until now that the helmet had eyes on it.

Green Ranger

 The Green Ranger! Tommy! He appeared in episode 17 as a bad guy but was a good guy in the end. He also practices Karate and is almost as strong as Jason. He pilots the Dragonzord and wields the Dragon Dagger which he can use to call upon the Dragonzord. The helmet is pretty awesome and has the Jewel on the tip of the nose. The teeth look awesome like the Red Ranger's helmet.
 It's a tier with the Red Ranger's helmet of which is my favorite. I know how Tommy is called the Best Ranger ever but there are so many other good rangers and it's only a matter of opinion. Plus the Red Ranger looks better with the Dragon Shield in my opinion.
It's super detailed. One thing that bugged me in the show was the Floppy shield and the bent Dragon Dagger that was used by Saban. 

Overall

I don't see any flaws on this, I think a couple people find faulty ones with some QC issues. I think this is pretty much perfect. If you find one I recommend you get it since it's a nice display piece, in box or out of box. It just makes a great addition to your MMPR Legacy Collection.
Just a couple more things!

No comments:

Post a Comment